Construction BUSINESS

Construction to Begin on Ireland’s New Daisy Lodge Therapeutic Centre

 Breaking News

Construction to Begin on Ireland’s New Daisy Lodge Therapeutic Centre

Construction to Begin on Ireland’s New Daisy Lodge Therapeutic Centre
May 07
12:38 2024

The Government of Ireland has announced the commencement of construction on Daisy Lodge, a new therapeutic short break center designed to cater to children with cancer. Scheduled to begin this summer, the project reflects Ireland’s commitment to providing essential support services for children and families facing the challenges of cancer treatment.

Located in Cong, County Mayo, Daisy Lodge will be the second of its kind in Ireland, operated by the Cancer Fund for Children (CFFC). Health Minister Stephen Donnelly disclosed the news during a visit to the center’s site on May 3rd, highlighting the significance of this initiative in enhancing support for families coping with childhood cancer.

The €15 million ($16 million) project will be funded through a combination of public fundraising efforts and contributions from the Irish government. Notably, the government has allocated €7.5 million for the project, with €5 million from the Department of Health and an additional €2.5 million from the Shared Island Fund, as disclosed by the Department of Health last June.

Daisy Lodge in Cong is envisioned as a 30,000 square-foot non-clinical facility, offering therapeutic respite services for children with cancer and their families. It aims to complement the existing Daisy Lodge in Newcastle, County Down, operational since 2014.

With the addition of the new center, CFFC aims to expand its support to accommodate 4,000 children and parents annually, a significant increase from the current capacity of 1,800. The center will provide free therapeutic short breaks to families from both Ireland and Northern Ireland, with referrals facilitated by CFFC’s team of Cancer Support Specialists deployed across the island.

It is projected that 70% of Daisy Lodge’s visitors will hail from Ireland, with the remaining 30% from Northern Ireland, mirroring the demographic distribution of the existing center in County Down. Furthermore, families returning for a second visit will be encouraged to experience the alternate location, fostering shared experiences among children and families from diverse communities across the island.

Minister Donnelly expressed his delight at the progress of the project, emphasizing its alignment with Ireland’s National Cancer Strategy and recognizing the invaluable role played by the voluntary and charity sector in providing essential cancer support services.

The commencement of construction on Daisy Lodge represents a significant milestone in Ireland’s efforts to enhance the quality of life for children and families affected by cancer, reaffirming the country’s commitment to compassionate care and support for those in need.

About Author



Related Articles

Constrcution Summit

The Magazine – Construction Business

The Magazine – Construction Summit – 2023

The Magazine – Construction Summit – 2024

New Subscriber

    Subscribe Here